Friday, June 22, 2007

*You learn something everyday*

I always believe that you see more things if you're humble. Met a friend of Ivana, Dania who works at MacBank. Our initial plan was to stroll down the street and have some nice seafood dinner at the Belgian Beer Cafe but due to the crowd & the not-so-dinner-place look-alike of the cafe we ended at Pancakes of the Rocks.

I: I find that ANZ hire alot of people like them *pointing at me* - Oversea student then decide to stay for the PR..
C: yea?
D: What about CBA?
I: Not sure..
D: Well, in Mac, you can hardly find these people. Even the Asian-lookalike people are very very local *No wonder Kevin has such Local-local accent*. They has really good foundation - english background. They are those either has been here for ages.. or the second generation (typical ABC - Australia Born Chinese)..
C: Serious ? But how can it be.. such a big bank and you cant find one ? unbelieveable.
D: maybe there is.. but very very very minority..
C: *Suddenly, I have a few thoughts - (1) I dont felt that bad for not getting MacJob, cos its real hard..(2) Better appreaciate my current job if its that quite hard for non-local like me to get ajob in bank*
I: People in Mac, they are real smart ppl..u cant bluff them
C: Yea.. dont they have distinction average (academic result) as prerequisite.
D: Not necessary. depends on which division you wanted to get in.. But, they stress alot on the culture. Manager (interviewer) can not hire you simply because he/she thinks you might not fit the team (culture), might not mix well with the people.. Purely the culture.. not necessary thinking you're not capable for the role.. Yea. its very discriminative.. plus the non-local issue..

Now I know.. Although I never agree with people saying discrimination doesnt exist, but just hadnt come across such devastating naked truth..

No comments: